Work continues on the house at a breakneck pace in between handling other life events. I have moved, so Erik has been tackling the home improvement projects on his own.
Prior to my moving in with family for our transition between the old house and a new one, I wanted to make sure most of the big furniture was moved out of the house and all the smaller stuff was packed and moved.
With the help of a couple of Young Son’s friends, including one we consider our stepson, we managed to clear out the larger furniture on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. It was an exhausting day, but we got up Sunday and moved the room divider components (the mid-century modern Founders room divider I discussed the last time I blogged), then loaded what I needed into the trailer and hit the road to get me moved.
Here are some photos of the chaos of our upended house on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.
As I look through these photos, I can’t believe how much stuff was still in the house after we had already spent months moving dozens of boxes into storage. Where did we get all of it? And, the bigger question for me, how can we get rid of a bunch of it so we don’t have to move it all again?
Aside from moving furniture, our primary projects over the past couple of weeks were finishing doors. Before I moved, I made a new curtain for the pantry doorway.
Meanwhile, Erik stripped the copper-toned paint off the front door in a screen tent in the backyard and painted it light blue to match the back door.
This week Erik has been working on finishing three doors in the addition. We put the addition on in around 2004. We wanted to put a finish on the doors that allowed the wood of the doors to be revealed but didn’t do it when they were installed. We didn’t actually have the tools to do a proper job of it at the time. It wasn’t until we operated our mid-century furniture refinishing business between 2011 and 2019 that we had the equipment to do so. While we closed the business in 2019, we still have the compressor and spray gun we used for the business, and Erik now has the refinishing knowledge he needed to shellac and lacquer the doors.
Here is one of those doors, which is the door for the downstairs front bedroom.
Our list of home improvement projects prior to selling is whittling down, but there is still plenty to do. If you’re handy, local, have some time, and are willing to help, let me know!